I will not let the weeds choke out my dreams…
My garden was beautiful… Several months ago!
I even told my husband that I was a failure at gardening and that I should just admit that and stop trying!
- I was reading the “Raising a Wild Child” and it talked about the importance of gardens with children.
- I got a yahoo alert about contamination in yards near a park my children like to play in.
- I already knew the park was involved in a national program to remove toxic waste from the soil and trees.
- It was a grim reminder that there is poison in our city and I can’t ignore it😞 This enforced my resolve to grow organic food for my family!
- Then a dear friend presented me with a wonderful book yesterday – The Backyard Homestead
My soul was stirred!
I gathered the kids and told them we were going to go rescue the garden!
I brought the chickens to the garden for Bug Patrol!
Then we pulled and pulled and pulled weeds!
But, we were going to put them to good use…
The weeds would make great ground cover for the chicken yard!
The weeds would also make great bedding for the nesting box!
My eldest son worked tirelessly!
I know there is still much to do… but it is a great start!
I think we will be able to reclaim the garden from the weeds and begin anew in time for fall!
My son found a good omen… and ate it!
Having my son pick a pepper and immediately eat it is an example of why I want to raise a bunch of wild kids…
and why having an organic garden it so important!